Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Woodstock Vermont Scones

I spent a year in Turkey a decade ago, and my roommate Kristen (who is a great cook) would make these scones. They are a great way to use up sour milk or little bits of dried fruit, nuts, and chocolate chips lingering in your pantry. I've adapted the recipe by halving it from the original because my non-gluten-eating husband cannot help me eat these. Beware, the recipe calls for A LOT of butter!

Woodstock Vermont Scones
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt (I omit this because I use salted butter.)

3 sticks butter, softened
1 cup raisins, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, chopped dried apricots, craisins, etc
1 egg
3/4 c milk, sour milk or buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients (except fruit, chocolate and nuts) and knead 5 minutes. (I use the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid Mixer.) I usually divide the dough into two bowls and add different mix-ins to each.

Drop dough onto an ungreased baking sheet by generous tablespoonfuls. Bake 15-20 minutes until edges are slightly brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment